Ways to Keep Homes Energy Efficient
Here are other ways to make your home more efficient:
- Clean your air conditioning unit. Blocked or dirty air filters and coils can reduce your system’s ability to push and pull air through vents, so make sure to wash or replace filters. Also remove debris from around the outside unit.
- For inside lighting, use CFL or LED bulbs. Not only do they save energy, but they also give off less heat than regular incandescent bulbs, keeping your home cooler.
- Make sure all air leaks are sealed. Inspect caulking around windows, doors, and any openings into the home. Weather stripping and caulking will help maintain your home’s temperature.
- Close your drapes or curtains during sunny or hot days. This helps prevent the summer sun from warming up your home through the windows.
- Clean off ceiling fans. Make sure they are circulating air in the correct direction for the season. During warm months, ceiling fans should operate in a counter-clockwise direction. This creates a cooling effect at less cost than air conditioning.